As summer approaches and the weather gets warmer, we all know what that means…POOL TIME! It’s important to remember that safety should always be a top priority when using your apartment pool. Follow these tips to ensure a fun and safe swimming experience:
Before You Go Swimming
- Check the pool rules: Make sure you are familiar with the pool rules and regulations. It’s important to know the pool hours, rules on food and beverages, and the designated areas for swimming.
- Check the pool conditions: Take a quick glance at the pool to ensure the water looks clean. If the water appears cloudy or dirty, it’s best to avoid swimming until it’s been cleaned and tested.
- Wear appropriate swimwear: Make sure your swimwear is appropriate for swimming. Avoid wearing anything too loose or baggy that could get caught in pool drains or filters.
During Your Swim
- Use sunscreen: Protect your skin from harmful UV rays by applying sunscreen before swimming. Reapply every two hours or after any movements that could remove the sunscreen.
- Stay hydrated: Keep a water bottle nearby to stay hydrated. Swimming can be exhausting, especially in hot weather, so it’s important to stay hydrated.
- Don’t run: Running around the pool area increases your risk of falling and getting injured. Instead, walk carefully around the pool deck and use the designated seating areas.
After Your Swim
- Shower: Rinse off in the shower before and after swimming to remove any dirt or sweat. This also helps reduce the amount of bacteria in the pool.
- Change out of wet clothes: Sitting in wet clothes can lead to skin irritation and rashes. Change into dry clothes after swimming.
- Follow the rules: Remember to follow the pool rules even after your swim. This means properly disposing of any trash and leaving the pool area when it is closed.
There are many ways to stay safe while using your apartment pool. By following these tips, you can create a safe, healthy and enjoyable swimming experience for you and your loved ones.
We have partnered with the YMCA to offer a FREE Learn to Swim Program to teach kids and families how to be safer in and around the water!
See below for more information.